Tuesday 8 February 2011

(Pre-Production) Institutional Information For Opening Sequences

I decided to look into the opening sequence for 'Catch me if you can' as part of my research.








 




I then created a timeline for this opening sequence and captured the credits shown, actions seen and the music played.


By referring to the timeline I created for the opening sequence, I found out that the production company names and logos must be at the beginning before introducing the actual opening credits. The film opening credits begin to introduce the names of the actors in the film and then the directors, editors and producers. These credits were introduced with the mise-en-scene, which gave me the impression of the roles being played by the actors. By doing this, the audience is able to gain more information about that the film is going to be about and get to know the characters already. Music was also played throughout the entire opening sequence. There were various instruments played as well as a mixture of low and high notes. This creates suspicion for the audience as well as setting a 'mood' for them. For example, the low notes could signify misery. The title of the film 'Catch me if you can' was introduced 44 seconds within the opening sequence, this is because it relates to the mise-en-scene where an animated police car was chasing a taxi. This audience is able to pay more attention to this and understand the context behind the title more.

There were a few terms in the credits which I did not understand and would probably need to take it into consideration for my own opening sequence. I looked the terms up to see what their jobs are:

Executive producer - Handles business and legal issues and are not involved in any technical aspects of the film making.
Co-executive producer - Second in seniority to executive producer.
Screenplay - A script made for a film including dialogue and descriptions of characters and sets.

The impact this research has had on my opening sequence is to create my own timeline because it will help keep it organized and easy to understand. I would also add my own production logo at the beginning and introduce the director and producer names before the actors. I would probably place it on the mise-en-scene because the audience may understand the roles of actors better. Later on in the opening sequence, I would add the film editors, music editors and costume designers as I noticed from my research. Overall, it had given me an idea of the certain times I'd need to add in music, actions and credits.

No comments:

Post a Comment