Sunday 6 February 2011

(Pre-Production) Production Log - Week 2

By looking at social realist codes and conventions, it has given me an idea of what needs to be included in my opening sequence. I have also learnt that there can can be more than one themes in a social realist film. For example, Kidulthood introduced the following themes in it's opening sequence: school bullying, crime, chavs, violence, gangsters and relationships. I have also learnt that handheld camera movements, real locations and natural lighting are important elements in order to make a film realistic as it will make the audience feel like they are involved in the scene. Also British people in social realist films usually wear casual everyday clothing which anyone can pick up from a shop so I would take this into consideration so that my opening sequence can therefore relate to a British audience.
Kidulthood is one of opening sequences I looked at to get an idea of what makes it British:



My research on a few British social realist films will inform my production because I will have more of an idea of what I need to consider including in my opening sequence. For example, I would keep the lighting natural because I want to keep my opening sequence realistic. I would also need to think about the dialogue and the language which would appeal to a British audience. Camera work is also important, so I could consider including a handheld shot to create a dramatic effect and in order to involve the audience as if they are in the scene.

After researching various opening sequences, alongside Kidulthood, I found that Fish Tank was particularly influential. This is because it was filmed near where I live in Baking & Dagenham and I am familiar with the locations. Also I can understand the regional language and accents because it relates to similar experiences I might have had. The opening sequence also didn't have much editing so it felt like I was following the character in the scene.        

                  
I will conform to conventions because I have gained knowledge by researching opening sequences that they introduce more than one theme. I will also need to start thinking about the various conventions such as camera work and props which will be needed in my opening sequence to make sure it will be appealing to a British audience.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment