Saturday 12 February 2011

(Pre-Production) Production Log - Week 3

I have learnt various narrative devices which could be useful for my opening sequence. I found that there are many ways in which films can follow a story. In the image below, it is the various narrative devices used in films. Most of them can be used in British social realist films and can make them more interesting and draw the audience in. It is also important that films have narrative structures so that the audience can follow them easily and not get confused.



A British social realist film can have flashbacks in the opening sequence such as Adulthood because it may seem more interesting for the audience of what may have happened in the past.



It is also an ellipse as it is denoted by the term 'six years later'.


This will inform my production because I would want to use a couple of the narrative devices in order to make it interesting for the audience to watch as well as easy for them to understand. I would probably make a timeline for my opening sequence to keep the shots and actions organized. Music is an important element in an opening sequence because I would need my opening sequence to create dramatic tension and set a mood for the audience. By looking at the opening sequence for Adulthood, it might be a good idea to use flashbacks at the beginning to give the audience more information of what is going to happen and how it relates to the past. The audience is then able to have a better understanding of the context of the film.

The methods I might use in my opening sequence would be probably be a restricted narrative to make it look realistic and show what life is actually like for the main character. It would also be interesting to use the non-linear device as flash backs or going in the future but I would have to make sure it won't look confusing for the audience. If this is the case, then the linear narrative would have to be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment